Sunday, March 21, 2010

Auto Shop Management: Handling over the Phone Estimates

Many years ago, I attended an Automotive Shop Management seminar where I learned that there is one thing you know about every new prospective customer who calls your shop and asks, "How much for a .... ?"

For years, I have listened, read and even opined about the various methods to deal with prospective customers who call and request an estimate for repair or service over the phone.

It's no secret that most shop owners and Service Advisors really do not like to give estimates over the phone without having had an opportunity to inspect and diagnose the vehicle in question. However, if you change your thinking just a bit, you might come to see that this represents a genuine opportunity with reference to a new age and new methods of marketing.

If I should call you and ask for an estimate for how much it will cost to turn off my Check Engine light, what do you think it might cost to fix it, or how much will it cost for front brakes on my 2006 Honda Pilot, you have an opportunity to engage me as a prospective customer and begin to form a relationship with me.

Instead of telling me that you're sorry but you don't give estimates over the phone, another way (there are several) that you could handle the situation would be to say, "Sure Mr. Prospect, let me get your e-mail address and I will e-mail you an estimate for that work and then call you to answer any questions or provide clairfication". Then you proceed to ask me pertinent questions to enable you to calculate an estimate as accurately as possible and e-mail me a PDF attachment for the work in question.

Now you may or may not get my business this time. I may well go to Snake's Repair Shop down the boulevard to have those brakes done. However, what you will have is my e-mail address which you can then use to send me well-crafted e-mails (with an opt-out option) about the services you offer, pertinent information for my vehicle, special offers such as headlight polishing, winterization, LOF, etc.

The one thing you know about every new prospective customer who calls your shop and asks, How much... ? They don't have anyone with whom they can trust their vehicle or they wouldn't be calling you.

No comments: