Sunday, March 21, 2010

How good of a Marketer are you? - Part 1

Here's why I pose the question: For 15+ years I have listened to many, many shop owners gripe and moan that car count is down. Yet, when I ask a few probing questions regarding their marketing efforts to existing customers, it becomes painfully obvious that these otherwise energetic entrepreneurs are clearly out of their comfort zone when it comes to utilizing their shop management software system for any type of database marketing.

Many auto repair shop management systems do a good job of providing the "tools" that enable a shop owner to keep in constant touch with customers but in my observation, precious few systems are fully utilized to their full potential.

Training is an issue no doubt. Quite possibly there was little training offered for the shop owner and he or she simply never became familiar enough with the system to even print out oil change reminder letters to send to their customers. On the other hand, I have observed shop owners who simply did not avail themselves of training offered for their benefit.

Nevertheless, since most shop owners will take on the challenge of an elusive driveability problem with the grit and determination of an Olympic athlete, I am always puzzled how so many of these types shy away from teaching themselves how to master the relatively simple challenges of database marketing. Perhaps fear of the unknown, another learning curve or hat to wear, or just a general lack of comfort with these types of systems are among the explanations.

Someone reading this right now is thinking, "We use a service (MechanicNet, Customer Link, OnStation) for marketing." To that my response would be, "Good for you. If that's working, keep doing it." However, while I think these services have some terrific capabilities, I still am concerned that a shop owner is not fully appreciating and learning the power and art of highly effective marketing for himself. Not his job, you say? Truthfully I could argue either side of that point but I believe and preach that a shop owner needs to be working ON the business, not IN it and working on the business means becoming a great marketer and positioning your shop as The Best. Ultimately, in a small business, whether a bakery or and auto repair shop, no one can do it as good as the owner can.

I recognize this can be a touchy subject but I am interested in others opinions on this question.

No comments: